Thursday, July 17, 2008

Where did all the GREAT sports bars go?

As I get ready to leave work, I start getting excited about what lies ahead of me tonight. It's my usual Thursday: playing kickball (GO BLACKOUT!) at Bicentennial Park for the Downtown WAKA league, proceeded by beer drinking and revelry with my teammates, and concluded with stealing bites from my boyfriend's late night, fast food burger.

Thinking of all this good fun and hedonistic consumption, I often find myself wondering why there aren't any great sports bars in Miami? (I guess I should mention that I mean specifically in the Coconut Grove/Coral Gables/South Miami/Downtown areas. Don't get me started on Miami Beach...)

Of course there are the dinosaurs: Sandbar, Mr. Moe's, The Bar. Blah. But, there isn't a place that I can think of, where at any time of the day, they are televising sports games and simultaneously serving up awesome food and beer. I mean, I just want to go to a place with my friends, grub out on some really delicious bar food and drink an ice cold glass of Tucher. Is that too much to ask??

But it seems that these places don't exist in my hometown. Is it because Miami sports fans are so fickle to begin with? Maybe rents are high or people are out tanning? I just don't really get it. So as I make my way to our kickball sponsored bar tonight (which is pretty lackluster at best), I'll wonder..."Where did all the Sports Bars go??"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rivals on AIA across from the Diplomat Hotel is a great sports bar, but who wants to drive all the way to Hallandale Beach. I concur, there are zero great sports bars, especially on the beach. New York City is the king of sports bars.

J said...

Um, Flannagan's? C'mon, Samson, get your mind right.

Unknown said...

All hail Shuckers.

Anonymous said...

There's always good ol' quarterdeck on Alton (but, I admit, too corporate).