Friday, July 18, 2008

BEST Sushi in Miami

After just getting back from lunch at the best sushi restaurant in Miami, I thought singing its praises was necessary. In case you have never been, you absolutely need to try Matsuri in the Red & Bird shopping center. Don't let the fact that it is in a shopping center, or next to a place that sells "food by the pound", fool you. The fish is super fresh and both the traditional and modern rolls are exceptional. In fact, everything that I have had there so far, has been great.

Today, Olivia ordered chicken teriyaki, which usually isn't my thing. But after sampling her plate, I was sold. Don't think of dry chicken strips soaking in a heap of pre-made teriyaki sauce. This was totally different. The chicken took on a small medallion like shape, and was perfectly juicy and moist. Their sauce was from scratch and you could taste it -- not overly sweet or overly salty. It is everything boring, standardized chicken teriyaki is not.

The most important test of a great sushi restaurant is undeniably, the sushi. And trust me, you will not be disappointed. So far, I haven't strayed too far from the traditional, but the use of tuna tartare and mushroom risotto in a roll, has literally wet my appetite, and I assure you, I will be going back for more.

The only thing to consider when going is that it is super crowded (a good thing!) and the service lacks because of under staffing. But trust me, if you have a little patience and some good company, the food is worth the wait -- and its weight in tuna.


Info:

Matsuri Japanese Restaurant
5759 Bird Rd
Miami, FL 33155
Phone: (305) 663-1615

3 comments:

Unknown said...

1) I fully agree that Matsuri has the best sushi in Miami
2) I can't believe that my name was not included in this post
Love you Kate! Natalia

Unknown said...

Kate,
I cannot agree with you more. Matsuri is by far my favorite sushi restaurant in Miami right now, and I am fortunate enough to live walking distance from there. Anyways, next time you go try the Invitation to the White House roll. It is four seperate rolls that have a variety of tartares placed atop warm teriyaki drizzled rice. Each of the four tartares are different...it is a wonderful concept of a roll. You may think it sounds odd, however the juxtaposition of the cold sushi with the warm sauce and rice is phenomenal. Also, if you are a toro fan, this is the place to try it, and fall in love with this fatty goodness...many xxoo.

Steve said...

Agreed on this place being the tops in Miami. Order the Hotate Yaki - scallops w/ their corals sauteed in garlic. You will thank me later. ;)