Wednesday, July 23, 2008

New Place, Great Taste

There have been a number of restaurants to open on Commodore Plaza in the Grove recently, and the newest of the bunch is Cita's Italian Chop House. I ate there last night with Natalia and Alex and had a fantastic time. However, I must confess that being there with my girlfriends, it was a bit more about the conversation than it was about a scrutinizing palate.

This is not to say that I wasn't paying attention. Every dish that was brought out was delicious, from the bread basket to dessert. The bread set the tone for the meal; we were pleasantly surprised at every turn. Massive rosemary pop-overs topped with parmesan cheese and served with a side of truffle butter was an exciting and decadent way to start the meal. After such a sumptuous start, we decided to tone it down and share a few appetizers and an entree, all on the lighter side. After all, this is Miami in July.

We shared scallops wrapped in crispy prosciutto served on a bed of sauteed spinach, an assorted seafood carpaccio platter with citrus, a chopped radicchio salad with sopressatta and sharp provolone and finally, a perfectly moist snapper fillet topped with olives, capers and San Marzano tomatoes.

As if that wasn't enough, (and because I absolutely always save room for dessert), we ordered an assortment of chocolate treats on what the menu deems a "Chocolate Sabotage." With a molten cake, chocolate and white chocolate pudding, cookies, peanut butter and dark chocolate custard and chocolate ice cream, it most certainly lived up to its name. It totally nullified our earlier efforts at ordering healthily, but it was more than worth it.

Whether it was opening night or not, the service was also a delight. Our server was knowledgeable and very proud of what the menu had to offer. He even bragged about the Sicilian Chef in the kitchen who hasn't been "corrupted yet." Let's hope such stellar service lasts, as Cita's brings in more patrons. I'm betting that they will.

Despite such a great night and wonderful sampling of dishes, I feel like I gypped myself. Cita's has a very extensive menu and last night was just a crack at it. First and foremost, I will need to order the good stuff: pasta. I won't be able to rave too much until I try their linguine alla vongole -- the quintessential pasta dish that marks a great Italian restaurant in my family. Luckily, I won't have to wait too long for an excuse to return. Cita's Italian Chop House is a Miami Spice participating restaurant this year.


Info:

Cita's Italian Chophouse
3176 Commodore Plaza
Coconut Grove, FL 33133
Phone: (305) 446-2207
http://www.citasitalianchophouse.com


1 comment:

Steve said...

I see youve already been here! This one is only a few blocks from my place and I couldnt be more pleased. Great addition to the 'hood and one that will definitely be a success w/ Grovites.